Embark on an environmental adventure like no other in the CSRA! In this standards-aligned field program for elementary through high school-aged students, learn environmental awareness and appreciation. Because this is a field class, no two days are the same! Students will leave the day with a variety of skills including:
- Learning how an ecologist studies the environment
- Measuring, counting, identifying, and interacting with vertebrate and invertebrate biodiversity of a variety of ecosystems in the CSRA
The program is held at the University of Georgia’s SREL Conference Center near Aiken, S.C. Educators also learn how to create outdoor classroom stations on or near their campuses with a variety of follow-up activities.
The successful Ecologist for a Day Program has been offered since 1995.
Guidelines for the Ecologist for a Day program:
- Groups must have a minimum of 10 students and a maximum of 30 students, not counting teachers and chaperones
- For the safety of our guests, all visitors must be at least 6 years old
- Programs are generally held from 9:30 AM – 1:30 PM and offered on Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Programs are held rain or shine. It is recommended that participants bring a jacket or coat with them in case of rain.
- Participants must wear clothing and footwear suitable for walking exploration on trails in the woods – closed-toed shoes and long pants are strongly recommended.
- Participants will need to bring a sack lunch.
Educators click here for an Ecologist for Day Field Guide