The goal of the “Ecologist for a Day” outreach program is to enhance environmental awareness and appreciation for elementary, middle, and high school age students and encourage them to consider careers in the sciences.
Groups of elementary, middle, and high school students visit the SREL Conference Center near Aiken, S.C., during the school year for a day-long program of hands-on environmental education activities, both outside and in. Teachers also learn how to create outdoor classroom stations on or near their campuses.
The successful Ecologist for a Day Program has been offered since 1995.
- Mondays and Fridays throughout the school year
- Age limit: ALL VISITORS must be at least 6 years old
- Group limit: 30 students, plus chaperones and teacher(s)
- Wear clothing and footwear suitable for walking on trails in woods
- Consider the weather forecast, in case a coat or rain jacket is needed
- Usual hours: 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Participants will need to bring a sack lunch
- Transportation to and from the Conference Center [View map] is the responsibility of the group scheduling the event [Download map]
Field Guide (PDF)