Olin E. Rhodes, Jr.
Savannah River Ecology Laboratory
P O Drawer E, Aiken, SC 29802
(803) 725-8191 office
(803) 725-3309 fax
My research interests focus on wildlife ecology and genetics, including studies of the genetic consequences of species reintroduction programs, the application of genetic tools for addressing issues in wildlife management, conservation, and disease ecology, the use of genetic markers to elucidate mating systems, movement behavior, and population structure of wildlife species, and sustainability of wildlife species in human-dominated landscapes with an emphasis on the resolution of human-wildlife conflicts.
- DeWoody, J.A., J.W. Bickham, C.H. Michler, K.M. Nichols, O.E. Rhodes, Jr., and K.E. Woeste. 2010. Molecular Approaches to Natural Resource Conservation. University of Cambridge Press, New York. 374pp.
- Unger, S.D., O. E. Rhodes, Jr., T. Sutton, and R.N. Williams. 2013. Population genetics of a cryptic, lotic species, the easter hellbender (Cryptobranchus alleganiensis alleganiensis), across multiple spatial scales. PLos One (In Press).
- Olson, Z. H., D. G. Whittaker, and O. E. Rhodes, Jr. 2013. Translocation history and genetic diversity in reintroduced bighorn sheep. Journal of Wildlife Management (In Press).
- Smyser, T.J., L.K. Page, S.A. Johnson, , C.M. Hudson, K. Kellner, R.K. Swihart and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2013. Management of raccoon roundworm in free-ranging raccoon populations via anthelmintic baiting. Journal of Wildlife Mangement (In Press).
- Beasley, J.C., Eagan, T.S., II, K. Page, C.A. Hennessy and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2013. Baylisascaris procyonis infection in white-footed mice: Predicting patterns of infection from landscape attributes. Journal of Parasitology (In Press).
- Kie, J., B.K. Johnson, J.H. Noyes, C.L. Williams, B.L. Dicks, O.E. Rhodes, Jr., R.J. Stussy, and R.T. Bowyer. 2013. Reproduction in North American elk Cervus elaphus: Paternity of calves sired by males of mixed-age classes. Wildlife Biology (In Press).
- Fike, J.A., C.A. Hennessy, M.L. Kennedy, and O.E.Rhodes, Jr. 2013. Eleven microsatellite markers for the gray squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) and their utility in fox squirrels (Sciurus niger) and red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus). Molecular Ecol. Resources (In Press).
- Smyser, T.J., S.A. Johnson, L.K. Page, C.M. Hudson, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2013. Experimental translocation of an imperiled rodent: Response of Allegheny woodrats to Baylisascaris procyonis mitigation and genetic rescue. Conservation Biology (In Press)
- Beasley, J. C., Z. H. Olson, W. S. Beatty, G. Dharmarajan, and O. E. Rhodes, Jr. 2013. Effects of culling on raccoon population dynamics. PLos One 8:1-9.
- Dharmarajan, G., W.S. Beatty and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2013. Heterozygote deficiencies caused by a Wahlund effect: dispelling unfounded expectations. Journal of Wildlife Management 77:226-234.
- Dharmarajan, G., J. C. Beasley, J. A. Fike, E. A. Raizman, C. C. Wu, R. M. Pogranichniy and Olin E. Rhodes, Jr. 2012. Effects of kin-structure on disease dynamics in raccoons (Procyon lotor) inhabiting a fragmented landscape. Basic and Applied Ecology 13:560-567.
- Beasley, J.C. and O.E. Rhodes. 2012. Are raccoons limited by the availability of breeding resources? Evidence of variability in Fecundity at fine spatial scales. Journal of Wildlife Management 76:1718-1724.
- Beasley, J.C., W.S. Beatty, T.C. Atwood, S.R. Johnson, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2012. A Comparison of Methods for Estimating Raccoon Abundance: Implications for Disease Vaccination Programs. Journal of Wildlife Management 76:1290-1297.
- Smyser, T.J., J.E. Duchamp, S.A. Johnson, J.L. Larkin, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2012. Consequences of metapopulation collapse: Comparison of genetic attributes between two Allegheny woodrat metapopulations. Conservation Genetics 13:849-858.
- Smyser, T.J., S.A. Johnson, K.L. Page, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2012. Synergistic Stressors and the dilemma of conservation in a multivariate world: A case study in Allegheny woodrats. Animal Conservation 15:205-213.
- Olson, Z.H., D.G. Whittaker, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2012. Evaluation of experimental genetic management in reintroduced bighorn sheep. Ecology and Evolution 2:429-443.
- Latch, E.K., E.M. Kierepka, J.R. Heffelfinger, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2012. Hybrid swarm between divergent lineages of mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus). Molecular Ecology 20:5265-5279.
- Beatty, W.S., J.C. Beasley, G. Dharmarajan, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2012. Genetic structure of a Virginia opossum (Didelphis virginiana) population inhabiting a fragmented agricultural ecosystem. Canadian Journal of Zoology 90:101–109.
- Olson, Z.H., J.C. Beasley, T.L. DeVault, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2012. Scavenging community response to the removal of a dominant scavenger. Oikos 121:77-84.
- Dharmarajan, G., J.C. Beasley, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2011. Heterozygote deficiencies in parasite component populations: An evaluation of alternative hypotheses in the raccoon tick (Ixodes texanus). Heredity 106:253-260.
- Page, L.K., J.C. Beasley, Z.H. Olson, T.J. Smyser, M. Downey, K. Kellner, S. McCord, T.S. Eagan, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2011. Evaluation of an in situ experimental prevention method for raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis) via anthelmintic baiting: Implications for the management of Infectious diseases. Emerging Infectious Diseases 17:90-93.
- Kimble, S.J.A., J.A. Fike, O.E. Rhodes, Jr. and R.N. Williams. 2011. Identification of polymorphic microsatellite loci for the eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina). Conservation Genetics Resources 3:65-67.
- Dharmarajan, G. and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2011. Evaluating levels of PCR efficiency and genotyping error in DNA extracted from engorged versus non-engorged females. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 25:109-112.
- Rella-Hapeman, P., E.K. Latch, J.A. Fike, O.E. Rhodes, Jr. and C.W. Kilpatrick. 2011. Landscape Genetics of Fishers (Martes pennanti) in the Northeast: Dispersal Barriers and Historical Influences. Journal of Heredity 102:251-259.
- DeVault, T.L., Z.H. Olson, J.C. Beasley, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2011. Mesopredators dominate competition for carrion in an agricultural landscape. Basic and Applied Ecology 12:268-274.
- Eagan, T.S., II, J.C. Beasley, Z.H. Olson, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2011. Response of small mammal populations to the removal of a generalist mesopredator in a fragmented, agricultural landscape. Canadian Journal of Zoology 89:724-731.
- Beasley, J.C., Z.H. Olson, G. Dharmarajan, T.S. Eagan, II, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2011. Spatio temporal variation in the demographic attributes of a generalist mesopredator. Landscape Ecology 26:937-950.
- Atwood, T.C., J.K. Young, J.P. Beckman, S.W. Breck, J.A. Fike, O.E. Rhodes, Jr., and K. Bristow. 2011. Modeling connectivity of black bears in a desert sky island archipelago. Biological Conservation 144:2851-2862.
- Greiner, E.C., A.M. Fedynich, S.L. Webb, T.L. DeVault, and O.E. Rhodes, Jr. 2011. Hematozoa and a new haemoproteid species from Cathartidae (New World Vultures) in South Carolina. J. Parasitology 97:1137-1139.